We all know that for proper search engine optimization (seo) it is necessary for websites to get backlinks. But, it is possible to get a site ranked without generating backlinks by utilizing a concept which is known as content or link pyramid. Let us look at what is this content or link pyramid and how to use it.
SEO Without Generating Backlinks
It refers to a content architecture that is connected using internal links and nested URLs. In this pyramid, there are multiple pages which cover the same topic. This kind of architecture can be utilized for supporting ranking of keywords for very competitive topics.
How link pyramid works?
Search engines such as Google and Yahoo want to highlight websites that provide meaningful as well as useful information to visitors. This means, search engines will prefer sites with more content on the same topic compared to a site with single piece of content on the same topic.
In a link pyramid, the content on different pages in connected to each other through well-thought out URL structure and internal links. This way it becomes easier for search engines to properly segregate your content and understand that you are providing good information on a specific topic.
User-wise, the internal linking structure will take users from one piece of content to another on the same topic. This way, users will be staying on your site for more time and browsing more number of pages. Such user behavior will be tracked by Google and other search engines and judge your site as more valuable for users.
How to create a content or link pyramid?
Let us look at an example to explain how to create a content pyramid.
- Create a Tier 1 page that will become top part of the pyramid.
- Examine subtopics for the topic covered in Tier 1 page and create Tier 2 pages that revolve around these sub-topics.
- Further search on sub-topics related to Tier One & Tier Two pages to form the Tier 3 pages.
- Set up a multi-tiered link building structure wherein you
- Create internal link between Tier 1 & Tier 2 pages.
- Link to Tier 1 and Tier 3 pages from Tier 2 pages.
- Link to Tier 1 and Tier 2 pages from Tier 3 pages.
If you are able to provide good content then people will be more inclined to link to it. Even if you are able to get a backlink for your Tier 3 page, the linking structure of your pyramid is such that it will have a direct impact on your Tier 1 page.